Our classes are grounded in the practice of mindfulness. The breath and body-alignment cues that we give are designed to bring you out of your head, and into the present moment. Studies consistently and overwhelmingly show that the practice of mindfulness can positively impact your life in many ways, from cardiovascular health, to better sleep, to blood-sugar control, to a better ability to handle stress.
- If you have any injuries or physical conditions that impact physical activity, please let us know so that we can offer advice.
- Place your mat near the center of the room, in a “parking spot,” so that you can see people in front and back of you for help in the postures.
- Grab a block.
- Ease in as needed, and have patience with yourself. You do NOT have to do every pose; each class you will do more and more. You wouldn’t expect to run a marathon on your first run, right?
- In our Hot Power Yoga classes, postures are linked together in a vinyasa (meaning “flow”). You will often see the transition “chatarunga (low plank), up dog, down dog.” If you need to back off, a good way to modify is to go straight to down dog (skipping low plank and up dog).
- If you feel like you need a break, it is important to not leave the room, if at all possible. Leaving the room cools your body rapidly, which makes it harder to come back in and re-adjust. Simply sit or lay down, or take child’s pose, and notice your breathing. Join back in as you can.
- If you have any questions about the practice or individual postures, ask an instructor – we love questions!
- Make a schedule for yourself and stay committed. 2-3 classes per week will bring results. 5-6 times will transform your life.